US Navy Veteran, Who First Saw Tic Tac UFO In 2004, Was Ridiculed By Defense Department


After the 2004 USS Nimitz ‘Tic Tac’ UFO case was publicized, several US Navy personnel came forward to tell the world about their personal experiences with the sighting. Like Chad Underwood and David Fravor, not every military personnel got good media attention.

Kevin Day was the first person who witnessed the Tic Tac UFOs back in 2004. He is still living in the shadows and waiting for an apology for being ridiculed and mocked within the US Department of Defence for trying to describe what he saw on his radar screen in November 2004.

According to Coast to Coast AM, “Kevin Day is a retired United States Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer, a former Operations Specialist, and TOPGUN Air Intercept Controller with more than 20 years experience in Strike Group air defense including war-time operations.”

In November 2004, Day was working in the Combat Information Center aboard USS Princeton when he noticed the fleets of anomalous air contacts, known as Tic Tac UFOs, in the skies above the Southern California Operating Area.

On November 10, 2004, the USS Princeton and the Nimitz aircraft carrier accompanied each other for a training exercise in the waters. Day was operating a highly classified radar system that was capable of tracking any target both in air and on land. In the evening, he discovered a tight formation of six unknown objects near Catalina Island.

Kevin Day
Kevin Day

According to him, the objects were at an altitude of 28,000 feet, moving at the speed of 100 knots (116 miles per hour). He said the speed of objects for such an attitude was “really, really slow.”

“It was almost like watching snowflakes fall on a really calm winter day. They stayed at relatively the same spacing from one another, they were going from north to south on my display, from top to bottom, really slow. Anything lighter-than-air would be traveling in the direction of the prevailing winds, which were from west to east. Not south. It was definitely odd,” Day explained.

Read also:

The electronic warfare supervisor told Day that the system did not detect any electronic signals originating from the formation of unidentified objects in the sky. He continued tracking them for two hours that evening. For the next few days, the objects were spotted in five to ten formations in a repeated track from Catalina Island to Guadalupe Island. As the objects posed no threat, Day slightly ignored them until the morning of November 14.

Day was not concerned about the objects until he saw them again on the morning of the 14th. He said that they were ready for a huge air defense exercise. “We had received orders to deploy a little early so we were out there doing that what they call Tailored Ship’s Training Availability (TSTA). We had ourselves out there on the Princeton and we had the Nimitz and the Air Wing had just arrived on the Nimitz.”

As the strike group was ready for the exercise, Day got worried as he could not let this exercise happen amid these unknown objects. He convinced the captain about the potential threat for these aerial anomalies, and the captain ordered him to investigate the objects.

USS Nimitz Tic tac UFO
Image credit: Kevin Day/Facebook

After that, Day returned to his radar system and ordered to identify the objects. Commander David Fravor responded to his intercept call and agreed to comply. Then Favor approached the oblong, pill-shaped object and Day watched the whole scenario in his radar display.

Day was waiting for a response from Fravor when suddenly, he heard the pilot’s voice saying “Oh my God! I’m engaged! I’m engaged!” What happened further changed the history of UFOlogy.

As soon as Fravor approached the object, it descended towards the ocean with a speed of 24,000 miles per hour without a sonic boom, and it happened in just 0.78 seconds. This incident shocked Day and his team who was watching it on the radar. When Fravor caught a glimpse of the object, he saw a 40 feet craft that had neither wings nor propulsion.

Interestingly, Fravor noticed when the object was closer to the surface of the ocean, covering a distance of 28,000 feet, it looked like a cross and was about the size of a Boeing 737 jetliner. Suddenly, it regained its altitude, ascended up into the sky with an incredible speed, and disappeared.

When pilot Fravor returned to his flight deck, he instructed pilot Chad Underwood who was going on the next launch. Underwood was able to record the movement of the object using his gun camera.

After this incident, Day was transferred off the ship, and it was his last duty mission in the Navy. He retired from the US Navy in 2008. Then he worked as a normal civilian, but the memories of Tic Tac did not leave him. He could not remain silent for long. So, he decided to write a semi-fictional story about his actual encounter. He wrote the book entitled “Sailor’s Anthology” published in 2008. Unfortunately, his book did not change anything at that time.

He described that his situation got worse after it. He lost several homes during the 2008 housing crisis. He lost his job and separated from his wife. He was subsequently diagnosed with a complex case of PTSD. His friends and family saw him turning from a great retirement to be living in the wilderness.

After the great expose of the black-budget Pentagon program and its UFO study program, the 2004 Nimitz UFO encounter became popular. The Tic Tac UFO videos were all over the news, and several witnesses came forward to share their experiences that include Cmdr. David Fravor. Day then started interacting with other military personnel to solve the Tic Tac puzzle.

Kevin day ufo group
UAP Expeditions

In 2018, along with his colleagues, he founded a group called UAP Expeditions whose mission is to provide free public service field-testing UAP related technologies. A team of physicists, research scientists, and trained observers captures and records broad-spectrum evidentiary data from UAP sightings.

Recently, he has shared a series of posts on his Facebook account, asking for a public apology for years of ridicule.

On 26 June 2021, he wrote: “I simply do not have words for the vindication I now feel… I was laughed at, mocked, and talked about behind closed doors within DOD whenever I tried to describe what we had seen off SOCAL in 2004… the price I paid personally might have been high but, knowing what I know now? Would likely do it all over again.”

The next day he added:

“From 2004 until 2009 when I walked away from DOD out of frustration, I had tried in vain to get somebody, anybody, to listen to me. Yet, every time I tried to describe what we had witnessed out in SOCAL during TIC TAC, I was openly laughed at, made the butt of jokes, and once even asked by my then-boss just WTF I had been smoking… at the time my concern was purely safety of flight because of objects that I knew to be real and inexplicable were in our training areas… the very reason I had received permission from CAPT Smith to intercept them in the first place… sociocultural stigmas about UFO’s did indeed prevent me from making the case at the time… the stigmas also cost me a 2nd career in DOD, at the least… I paid a very high price personally and I hold the NAVY/DOD directly responsible for their complete and utter malfeasance and gross dereliction of duty which, indeed, did nearly result in AIR-TO-AIR mishaps with unknown objects and Navy aircraft in the years that followed… I also hold NAVY/DOD directly responsible for what I and others went through as a result of trying to uphold our own duty and simply do the job the American people paid and expected us to do… I and others deserve a formal public apology and a redress for the costs I/we paid?”

Like Kevin Day, there are several other military personnel who are still silent about their UFO encounters.


5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments